Saturday, October 31, 2009

40+ YEARS LATER - THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Hard to believe, but it has been over 40 years since I was working on an M.A. Degree - in British History.

I have not lifted my copy out of the files, but my subject was Roman Catholic plots against Elizabeth, Elizabeth I of England, and I remember bits and pieces of it.

The focus was on the work of Sir Francis Walsingham, her minister in charge of countering the death plots against her.

Yes, that word was/is death.

And I remember my astonishment those many years ago at the ignorance of the Spanish agents who were in the employ of the King of Spain and His Holiness in Rome.

I have forgotten the name of His Holiness.

But the point is the blindness, the ignorance, the criminal refusal to admit the reality of the English position on matters of State and Religion in the Sixteenth Century.

And I fear that I am witnessing a 21st Century version of the same thing right now.

The Vatican is apparently suffering under the delusion that there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Episcopalians/Anglicans just champing (or is it chomping?) at the bit to return to Rome, if only the gate should be opened unto them.

The prevailing Roman belief apparently is that the original reasons for the reformation in England were all a mistake; that what was then perceived to have been intolerable innovations in the Christianity of the day are these days matters of no consequence.

This was the blindness that called Elizabeth I an ignorant b..ch; a tyrant hated by her subjects; illegitimate; and destined for the fires of hell.
This was the blindness that believed that the English of that far-off time were pining away for a return to the Roman Church, the only way to salvation.
This was the blindness that launched the Great Armada into the lunacy of the effort to invade and ‘save’ England from the devil.

I know, I have not referenced the political matters of State. So be it. I am aware of them. But it is the religious factors that are important to day, not the matters of diplomacy and related matters.

Thus far, we have heard nothing form the Vatican regarding the matters of Papal Infallibility; the role of women in the Church; the matter of celibacy; the details of the invitation: or of a host of other issues which are important to Anglicans and Episcopalians, and, may I add, to many practicing Roman Catholics who defy their own church in their day-to-day independence.

Talk about hubris and about failure to understand the facts of life regarding important issues.
We at The Study are concerned about what is going on in the Episcopal Church of the USA, ECUSA or TEC, and the Anglican Communion.

We are concerned about the wellbeing of the Anglican Communion.
And we have real and long lasting reservations about the Roman Catholic Church, reservations which have come down to us over the centuries.

We have great respect of that Church as well.

But are we lusting after a chance to return to Rome??

We have never been there and we have no desire to go there.

We will work out our issues in the Church of our birth.

As a Dear departed Cousin was wont to say, "Thank you very much."

No comments: