Wednesday, May 6, 2009

IN CAMP – WEDNESDAY NIGHT

It is Wednesday night and it is late and I have been celebrating.
We have opened our Northern Camp over the course of the last few days and we have been busy.

And I am tired.

Our Northern Camp is opened, successfully as far as we can tell.
And today whilst looking over our little garden out back, a bird landed on my shoulder and looked right into my face.

And at lunch today Dear Wife and I were privileged to watch two pairs of loons swimming, diving, fishing, taking off and landing for the hour and a half we devoted to lunch on a bay off Lake Michigan just a short drive from our camp.

We have reconnected with neighbors; walked Sophie more than we ever do at home; and just breathed in the Northern Air.

But a few other things should be said, should be shared.

Firstly, sincerest thanks go to Cathy and Joel for most kind comments regarding my 50th Reunion. The event was superb!

There was nostalgia; joy; tears, unexpected and instant; floods of memories; and endless and rapid sharing of stories of past and present.

A faculty member who was very important to me 50 years ago was present, and the opportunity to share with him was an overwhelming experience.
Really, overwhelming and I am not ashamed to say one of the most moving moments of my life.
I said important to me fifty years ago.
I should have said important then and important now.
I think of him, if not weekly, then every week or so for the example he set for his students and football players, fifty years ago.

And the two aforementioned ‘comments’ by my two readers were most welcome as I rehearsed the day’s doings after the fact.

Thank you for contributing to the success of my Reunion.

But now it is early Thursday.
We return home tomorrow and I have Lenten Study reading to do for our workshop on Friday AM.

Life goes on.

Thank the Good Lord.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I'm so glad you're reunion was everything a reunion should be. I found that mine, too, brought sudden and unexpected emotions. What a GIFT you got to visit with your teacher/coach--the icing on the cake! And I believe you are in for a wonderful summer -- a bird personally welcoming you "home"!