Monday, April 14, 2008

CHARLTON HESTON, A BELATED R.I.P.

http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/larger-than-life-charlton-heston/

Another of the larger-than-life American icons has passed.

My heavens…think of how many in the last few months.

As this article and others have pointed out, such as these are not being replaced and made known to the rest of us as fast as they are passing.

The word used now for those who have the special qualities of our Charlton Hestons is nowadays , I think, gravitas, the sine qua non for that which demands our attention, our respect.

Perhaps I am showing my age, but I confess that I think the new Christmas carols, the new actors, the revisionist histories, the new ways of doing things, etc., etc., have a long way to go to catch up with those which were…with those which were.

The nation is the poorer for Mr. Heston’s passing.

The nation is the better for his having been here.

No comments: