Sunday, January 6, 2008

FOLLOWING THE PRIMARIES

I suspect it has to be, but it is pathetic to watch candidates tailor their presentations and even the manner of presentations to suit their audiences.

I like to imagine a time when the candidate would simply be himself and say what he had to say.

By the way, I offer no apologies for using the masculine gender above. I am in a mood tonight, I guess. In Church this AM, I again noted that most of the Congregation, a lot of it anyway, substitutes God for He whenever possible.
For heavens sake, the prayer is …Our Father, not Our God…. or Our Mother….

So, when I am in a mood, I will use the masculine pronoun, the way I was taught fifty years ago. Good grief, was it that long ago???
Sorry for the digression.
No I am not.

Anyway, when watching the primary speeches and coverage, I suggest watching a few of the actual speeches or debates, as they are called, with a few grains of salt. It is a given that the candidates may say things that they have no intention of ever doing when and if they are elected. They do it to make their elections possible in these days of sound byte news coverage.

And one should watch at least two news networks for analysis: Fox with Brit Hume and his people for one; and cnn and their people for another.

Brit Hume is the best on the air. cnn is flamingly liberal but it will give you the liberal spin. And some of their people are ok.

For the national candidates, I would ignore the local broadcasts.

If you are able, utilize online journals; newspapers; and commentaries from more than the correct side in order to maintain perspective and check on your favourite analysts.

Why should one be interested in the primaries??

Well, one reason is that we have a ringside seat at watching how the most powerful nation in the history of the earth picks its leader. The Greeks and Romans and British were awesome.

The United States is more awesome.

It is a privilege to be able to follow events. It is an even greater privilege to participate in the process.

Go for it.

We did a tiny bit last election.

Maybe this election too.

No comments: